Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Raindrops keep falling on my head

Everyone has a favorite cinema moment. Interestingly enough, a really touching personal cinema moment may not be one that was cinematographically pathbreaking, or one that has been written about, copied, referred to, praised or criticised. It would probably just be something that stirs up a sweet memory, or fuels a new dream. There are many cinema moments that still bring out the goose pimples or catch my breath every time I watch the scene.

Appropriate to the weather then, here is a clip of an all time favourite - the cycling song from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - BJ Thomas's "Raindrops keep falling on my head".

As a child, I was 'rained on' several times by older relatives who found creative ways to pour water over my head every time I warbled out the song. Once I was sitting on the potty when my cousin ingeniously emptied a lota of water on me through the grills separating the toilet area from the main bathroom. He himself had to stand on a high stool to reach the grills. Another time, the shower came down from a bucket emptied by my aunt sitting atop a ledge overhanging the balcony I was standing on. That didn't stop me, I still sang the song, loving its rhythm and its lyrics. Even to a child, the message carries a strong meaning. As an adult, even more so. "I just did me some talking to the sun, and I said I didn't like the way he got things done, sleeping on the job.... coz I'm never gonna stop the rain by complaining...."

As for the cinema moment, I'm sure you know which one it is - that cheeky exchange between Paul Newman and the bull of course! Enjoy the goosebumps as you approach the end of the song and remember that no matter what, you're free...

2 comments:

meraj said...

beautiful...interestingly, as the rains arrived, i changed my ringtone to this song. half an hour later i received this video as a forward from a friend, and now you are talkign about it here.

loved the post and the snippets from your 'innocent young dolphin' days.

phish said...

indeed. the rain posts are pouring all over the blogs. and this one is just as beautiful as the others.