Tuesday, August 07, 2007

'If I were a rich man'

Zee Studio aired Fiddler on the Roof last weekend. I can see this film a thousand times and then a thousand times again. I like Tevye's conversations with God best of all. Like a best friend, he questions Him, humours Him, makes fun of Him, loves Him, hates Him, but always always defers to Him. With so much talk of money circling the hallways these days, his mocking frustration-airing appeal before launching into one of the world's most famous songs, takes on a meaning of its own. (I can almost see another bearded gentleman take Tevye's place, in my cheeky mind's eye! Can you?).

Well, I'm not really complaining.
After all, with your help,
I'm starving to death.
Oh, dear Lord!
You made many, many poor people.
I realise, of course,
it's no shame to be poor.
But it's no great honour either.
So what would have been so terrible
if I had a small fortune?


Here is a video of the song, complete with the impromptu jigs, the screeches, the pony whistle, animal sounds at just the right moments blending perfectly with the musical instruments, the staircase going nowhere just for show, the peacock strut, the double chin, the 'ifs'.

The 'ifs'. Without the 'ifs' in our lives we'd have nothing to strive for. Enjoy.

7 comments:

kj said...

taking balki's case again boss. enjoy your millions (oops crores) and leave the poor guy in peace! He's entitled to feel a little upset though i dont think he is justified in his thought or action. Kunal

Smiling Dolphin said...

Kunal sweetheart, sigh, you never understand anything I say :-(

kj said...

i know boss, i know. we all learn the hard way. take care :-)

meraj said...

I like the movie in certain parts. In totality, it becomes long, boring and too musical for me. but I love this song...an all time Classic.

To me, its all about striking a balance of a 'Sage Mindset' and a 'Capitalist's Bank Balance'...and its possible.

Playful cheekiness is good fun :)

Smiling Dolphin said...

Meraj, I guess Infosys Narayanmurthy is a good example of that balance. Plus you are too young to like Fiddler!

meraj said...

i dont think its got to do with age. its just that it isnt in sync with my sense of a movie. as a musical on the broaddway, perhaps yes...but not as a movie.

happy independence day!

meraj said...

and yes, you are absolutely right about Narayanmurthy.